Saturday, March 24, 2012

ABCs of compiling the AtlasControlToolkit source

Hello,

I was able to successfully change a few small items in the July CTP, build and use the binaries in a web solution. Very nice!

But the latest Sept. AtlasToolKit has me stumped. First of all, there is one less DLL (microsoft.AtlasControlExtender.dll) after I build and I wonder how this effects my old code. Also, when I remove the reference to the old DLL in VS an unknown process retains a lock on some files from the old referenced Atlas.

After I build the AtlastToolKit solution and add a reference to the TWO generated DLL's in VS everything looks fine within VS, no errors or missing references there. But when I run the code the Atlas portion simply does not work giving a simple JavaScript error "object does not exist"

So, my question is: Is there an FAQ or basic run down of how to transition from one version of Atlas to another...especially if we have modified some of the older versions scripts and code?

Hi,

all the code in Microsoft.AtlasControlExtender was moved into the AtlasControlToolkit namespace (this means that the source is now public), thus a required step is to replace all the references to Microsoft.AtlasControlExtender into references to AtlasControlToolkit. This has to be applied also in the JavaScript behaviors (look at the registerClass() function at the end of the file) that must inherit from AtlasControlToolkit.BehaviorBase.


Great, that helps a bunch.

Another question then, if I wanted to compile the source and NOT have the JS files as an embedded resource but instead use something like the SCRIPTPATH= , how do I build the AtlasControlToolkit? Ideally, this would also allow me to have a directory of JS files to debug against as well.

thanks!


Hi,

I don't know if it is possible to compile the Control Toolkit to reference external files. What you can do is reference an external JavaScript file when declaring an extender, via the ScriptPath property of the extender control.

No comments:

Post a Comment