Monday, March 26, 2012

Access to Path denied message appears on install

Hi,

While trying to install Atlas, I get the following message - Access to the path 'C:/Program Files/Common Files/Pumatech Shared/Transaction Manager/ComponentData/TraceLogs' is denied. What do I need to do here?

Thanks,
James

Hello. I do not have much to add other than I am experiencing thesame problem. I downloaded the installer today (4 April2006). My system is Windows XP Professional, SP 2 and I havelocal admin rights to the machine.
It seems like your Blackberry synchronization application is conflicting with the install. I have no idea why but I suspect that there is something really wrong with your system. Atlas itself knows nothing of this Pumatech folder.

I am not sure why the setup will reference the Pumatech Shared folder since it should be not be related. Can you check a couple things:

- Since it was access denial error, can you check if your current user account has the access permission to the folders through the security tab of the Properties dialog of the folders?

- From some internet search results, it looks Pumatech Shared folder might be created by Pumatech Intellisync, Blackberry Desktop Software or some PDA desktop sync software. I am just curious that if you have any of such software installed on your machine. If possible, would you be able to try Atlas setup on a machine that does not have any of such software installed?

Thanks,
Frank


I do have Blackberry Desktop sync software amd the exe I use to sync upis not loaded in memory. In other words it only syncs when I tellit to, manually. I also checked Windows Services and the Sys TrayRegistry settings (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run)and I do not see any suspicious exe/processes either.

Oddly enough, despite having local admin rights, when I try to look atthe Pumatech Shared folder's settings it gives me a permission deniederror!

I am really at a loss, too why the the Atlas setup would want to reference the Pumatech Shared folder. A
clean reboot and then reinstall does not help either.

At this time I do not have another machine to test the install. The only consollation I have is that I am not the only one with thisvery strange problem.

Thanks guys for the replies. Any more ideas?
One more thing, if I unckeck "Install Atlas Visual Studio ProjectTemplate" from the setup. It completes successfully (other thaninstalling the template, of course).

Originally, I thought the problem may be due to having an apostrophe inmy name (o'reilly), since the templates directory is located underc:\documents & settings\o'reilly\visual studio 2005\......, etc.

Today, I copied the contents of C:\Documents andSettings\o'reilly\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005 and pasted it toC:\Dev. I then went through the Visual Studio 2005 optionsettings and changed every pertinent setting I could to point toc:\dev\Visual Studio 2005\...

So at this point I am really grasping at straws as to why this installer is not working properly.
"I am not sure why the setup will reference the Pumatech Shared folder since it should be not be related. "

Not only does theWindows Installer Component(msiexec.exe) references this folder, it accesses alot of other foldersthat are unrleated to access. This is alarmingly so when viewingthe installer activity using sysinternal's FileMon utility.

I also had the same problem. I uninstalled the Blackberry Desktop app with Add Remove programs and this did not remove the \Pumatech Shared\ directory. So I uninstalled the Yahoo calendar sync desktop app I installed that this did not remove it. I went into the \Pumatech Shared\ directory and ran all the uninstall.exe's within the subdirectories. When I attempted to delete the directory, I hit a permission problem. I tried again to access the \Trace Logs\ directory and got a message that I could not change permissions, but could take control of the directory. So I did. I had right clicked, clicked Properties and clicked Security tab and change the owner from null to me. Then I gave myself full control of the \Trace Logs\ directory. I had repeat this process for the two xml files contained with in. Once I did that, I could delete the entire Pumatech directory. With this in the trash, I was able to install Atlas including the template. I haven't seen that I have caused any more problems by doing such a brute force uninstall, but I just finished doing this a few minutes ago. My system hasn't crashed yet and I don't forsee that this would cause any problems, so I'm feeling pretty confident. I'll see what happens next. :) Hope this helps. Dean

The setup is searching through C:\Program Files\Common Files to look for VSContentInstaller.exe to launch the VSI installation. There might be some problem when it cannot access some folder under the directory. I will investigate further and see exactly what happens under this condition. Please stay tuned.

Thanks for providing all the info, it has been really helpful to narrow down the area of the problem.
Frank


By the way, as mentioned by "Life of Riley" above, a workaround is that you uncheck "Install Atlas Visual Studio Project Template" during setup. Once setup is done, you go to "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ASP.NET\Atlas\v2.0.50727" and open ASPNETAtlas.vsi. This should install the Atlas template properly.

Just an update on this, the above issue of access denied to an unrelated folder has been fixed and the next release of Atlas will not have the same issue.

Thanks,
Frank

No comments:

Post a Comment