Saturday, March 24, 2012

A Simple "Proof-of-Deployment" Example?

Getting started with these improved technologies is always the hardest part and I'm having a devil of a time trying to just prove that AJAX will work on one or more of my hosting accounts -- all of which are "shared hosting".

Does anyone have a simple 3 file (or so) example -- with indications about where the various DLL things should be (besides the obvious areas which are supposed to provided in the shared enviroment in places where your hosting service must put them) that will RUN and prove deployment?

Mahalos in advance ... :) KevInKauai

Oh I want too!

if you get give it to me !Stick out tongue

to E-mail:houdejun214@.163.com


Amazing that there isn't such a "cookbook" around already, isn't it? Or am I missing something obvious?

I'd be more than happy to host such a document or ZIP file or whatever it takes. I've scoured through "AJAX for Dummies" and "Beginning AJAX with ASP.NET" for any clues from the keywords "deploy", "hosting", "server", "dll" and "assembly" without success.

;) KevInKauai


It's pretty simple: ASP.NET AJAX needs to be installed on the server, so if you find your app not working, check with your hoster and make sure they've run the installation.

If you're additionally using the ASP.NET AJAX Control Toolkit, you'll need that DLL in the Bin folder of your app. This should already be the case if you followed their setup instructions.


Thanks, Steve.

I was hoping it would be simple as my local tests seem to go so swimmingly. It's only when I come to deploy (and I'm trying simple tests on a variety of hosters -- including GoDaddy, Ultima_Hosts and Server-Intellect) that I run into anomalies and the finger-pointing begins.

Here is what I've got on Ultima_Hosts, for example:

As you can see, the result plainly do not confirm what I am seeing when running locally.

ALSO ... and this may be an aside, but I ran into a post somewhere which says that one should REMOVE all of the "tagTypes" (6 of them) inside the "tagMapping" section of the web.config file. Is this a change which should be done for ALL AJAX-ified projects? Is there a way to remove those unnecessary references (IF they are) from the project model (or an update)?

Remote AJAX stuff is working just great, but the proof of the pudding is in the deployment for real solutions (for me).

Mahalo ... :) KevInKauai


I don't know about the others, but I believe GoDaddy has installed ASP.NET AJAX 1.0 on all their servers. When it doesn't work, do you see a JavaScript error in the browser?

I'm not sure about the tagTypes settings... where did you see that?


The Support Analyst from UltimatHosts is telling me the following:

Well, here's what I did:
I added a virtual directory to the root.
I copied the files from your folder to the folder for the virtual directory.
I have not seen your configuration in DNP as my first concern was to ensure that it was not a server issue and to make sure that Ajax was installed correctly.

It is definitely an issue with something in your application or with your configuration, not a server issue. You might want to check to make sure that your test folder is running as a root application as it is in the test configuration. This can be done using virtual directories or subdomains in DNP.

Is this something one expects when deploying AJAX-enabled applications in a shared hosting environment? I don't seem to need the same special "virtual directory" for ordinary ASP.NET projects.

mahalos to anyone for shedding light on this fuzzy topic ... :) KevInKauai


Hi KevInkauai,

Based on your descriptions, I'm afraid that you should check your web.config. Here is the document: http://ajax.asp.net/docs/ConfiguringASPNETAJAX.aspx If your problem is not resovled by doing this, another document about migration is given. You can download it here: http://ajax.asp.net/documentation/default.aspx?tabid=47 please focus on "Migration Guides".

One effective checking method is add a sample downloaded fromwww.asp.net to your host and have a test. If still not work collectly, maybe reinstall the lastest Asp.Net Ajax ControlToolkit is a considerable way.

Hope it helps. If you have any new concerns or findings, please share it with us.


Thanks, Steve - -

My baby-simple AJAX test app fails in the same way on both GoDaddy and UltimaHost. The UltimaHost tech guy says that it's because AJAX-enabled applications must be deployed a "virtual root directory" (or something to that effect -- I'm more than a little foggy on this concept). In any case, it's still not working and I'm still in limbo about trying to include AJAX features without a CLEAR document that says (in effect) "here are the special steps you need to deploy".

:) KevInKauai


Hi KevInKauai,

KevInKauai:

Thanks, Steve - -

My baby-simple AJAX test app fails in the same way on both GoDaddy and UltimaHost.

Would you please explain more about what's wrong with this sample?

No comments:

Post a Comment